SGA Holds Candlelight Vigil in Remembrance of Florida Parkland Shooting Victims

Back to Article
Back to Article

Meleena Richardson, Staff Reporter

On Monday at 7:30 p.m., the Student Government Association held a candlelight vigil in the Hoosier room in remembrance of the Florida Parkland shooting victims.

The vigil was to be held outside in McCullough Plaza but due to inclement weather, the vigil was moved to the Hoosier room.

Students from organizations such as the Gamers’ Society, Asian Pop Culture Club, TKE, SGA and others were present for the vigil.

During the vigil, students were given the opportunity to give a brief speech about the tragic shooting and gun violence.

Students discussed issues such as gun control and expressed how IU Southeast has come together in unity to express their condolences, despite what political views they may have.

Autumn Hockenbury, press secretary for SGA, states the organization had been planning and preparing the candlelight vigil since the shooting occurred.

“There was about fifty people who showed up, and I would say I was very pleased with the amount,” Hockenbury said. “It’s good to see that many people come together to embrace community. It was great to see such a vast array of students come and show solidarity at this event.”