Suicide Prevention Week Events

Candace Hatfield, Staff Reporter

IU Southeast has partnered with the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, or the AFSP, to promote awareness of suicide as well as raise funds in order to continue research projects, educational programs and support those who have dealt with suicide loss.

Not only is there a campus-wide walk IU Southeast campus Saturday, Sept. 30, but also there are events throughout the last week of September that will explain how suicide affects students as well as some ways to prevent suicide. Register before Friday, Sept.  29 to participate in the walk.

“Suicide is the second leading cause of death among college age students and many of our own students feel suicidal at times. This week of events is intended to show our support for one another and educate our community on ways to help,” said Join Michael Day, personal counselor of IU Southeast.  

The Out of the Darkness week is a week to dig deep, show empathy and focus on how to make this world aware of mental health issues, organizers and participants say.

One IU Southeast student looks to make a difference in this. Cory Byers, a sophomore transfer from Ivy Tech, plans to share his story with the public at Saturday’s Walk. His step-mother, Charlie Jean Lilly, suffered from mental issues from a young age until her death last Summer in 2016. Due to this tragic event in his life, Byers said he plans on doing what he can to share with society the mental issue of suicide.

“She was a very bright, caring and active woman. She enjoyed spending time with her close friends, family and playing tennis. Battling multiple different disorders she chose to do what she thought was her only hope,” said Byers. “Our family was shaken to its core with her loss. We continue to press on every day and share her story so that it can give others hope in their darkest times, that they are not alone and we are here to help them with any means necessary.”

Here is a list of events this week to promote suicide prevention efforts.

Monday, Sept. 25 – Thursday, Sept. 28
Depression and Suicidal Ideation Screening
11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.   |   University Center, Lower Level

Tuesday, Sept. 26
Suicide Prevention Resource Fair
11 a.m. – 1 p.m.   |   McCullough Plaza

QPR, Free Training in Suicide Prevention
5:30 – 7:30 p.m.   |   University Center North, Room 127

Wednesday, Sept. 27
Hit of Hell: Heroin and Opiates in our Community
Film creator Harrison County Prosecutor Otto Schalk will be on-hand to discuss the documentary with those in attendance.

Saturday, Sept. 30, 2017
Out of the Darkness Walk
Length: 2 Miles
9 a.m. – Register   |   10 a.m. – Walk   |   McCullough Plaza – Start