Peace vigil held in New Albany to celebrate unity

New Albany mayor Jeff Gahan sent a missive to Greg Phipps, senior lecturer in sociology at IU Southeast, as he was unable to attend.
 “White supremacists or other hate groups are not welcome in New Albany Indiana. Diversity is our strength and we will oppose any attempts to undermine our city,” Mayor Gahan wrote in his missive. He plans to introduce a resolution Thursday that will condemn supremacy and neo-Nazi ideology.

New Albany mayor Jeff Gahan sent a missive to Greg Phipps, senior lecturer in sociology at IU Southeast, as he was unable to attend. “White supremacists or other hate groups are not welcome in New Albany Indiana. Diversity is our strength and we will oppose any attempts to undermine our city,” Mayor Gahan wrote in his missive. He plans to introduce a resolution Thursday that will condemn supremacy and neo-Nazi ideology.

Dustin Kiefer

Dustin Kiefer

Dustin Kiefer, Photo Editor

At the East Spring Street Neighborhood Park in New Albany, community members and councilmen gather for a vigil hosted by the East Spring St. Neighborhood Association (ESNA). The crowd gathered in response to Charlottesville, VA, where this past weekend a woman was killed and others injured when a car drove into a crowd of people protesting the rally of white supremacists and neo-Nazis.