IUS Career Development Center’s job board, CareerLink database offer variety of jobs to students, alumni

The job board and additional database provide experiential learning and employment opportunities for the IUS community

Braden Schroeder

The job board, located in University Center South, has a variety of job postings available for both students and alumni.

Braden Schroeder, Staff Reporter

Aside from resume and cover letter help, interview preparation and the internship program, the IU Southeast Career Development Center also helps undergraduate students, graduate students and alumni find employment.  

A job board located outside of the Career Development Center in University Center South is one of the many ways the office reaches the IUS community. With the nine most recently posted internships, hourly positions and professional positions, the job board contains at least 27 different opportunities that are changed around every two weeks.  

“Those jobs on the job board are just the tip of the iceberg,” Debbie Vietzke, the office service assistant senior and staff council secretary, said. “There are so many more jobs that they might even like more than those.” 

Developing Careers with CareerLink 

With only 27 opportunities posted on the job board, Vietzke said that students are highly encouraged to also visit the Career Development Center’s website and use CareerLink to learn more information about the jobs posted on the board and view more employment options.  

“They can log in to CareerLink themselves and look to see all of the jobs. The thing is getting students to look at the CareerLink database,” she said. “Even though on every one of those jobs it says, ‘please log in to CareerLink to see more information’ I don’t know if as many students look at it.” 

While junior neuroscience major Julia Campisano said she was not aware of the job board or CareerLink database, she did know that the Career Development Center could help with finding jobs. Campisano said she hoped to gain more knowledge of major specific opportunities.  

“If they knew opportunities that were for a specific major, then maybe sending them an email or even giving suggestions that might even be internships that would relate back to what the students want to do in the long run,” she said. “It might create more competition in the end but I think that more people would be interested in applying for those positions.” 

Vietzke said that all types of jobs are received and posted by the Career Development Center, which allows them to provide a variety of opportunities for the campus community.  

“We post all of them, all of the ones that we get. We get ones that employers log in and post their own jobs, we get emails from various large employers like Greater Clark County Schools or the Metropolitan Sewer District,” she said. “They’ll just send a bunch of jobs in an email and usually the work study students do the formatting and updating.” 

Opportunities for Everyone 

In addition to the resources offered by the Career Development Center, Vietzke said that students can visit their school-specific webpage to find positions that are in their fields of study.  

“If you go to the School of Arts & Letters, they have on their sidebar a link to careers and when you click on it, it brings up a list of jobs that pertain to arts and letters,” Vietzke said. “It also has jobs that pertain to all degrees as well, so you kind of have to filter through there.”  

Although there are multiple ways on campus that students can find employment, sophomore business major Keaton Seelye said that he has not been to the Career Development Center since freshman year, and while he knew about the job board, he did not know about other alternatives that are offered.  

“I know I don’t go up there that often so I would not see that board, so maybe putting the link or flier down in the Student O where a lot of people hang out, in the cafeteria or have IUS post it on their social media,” he said. “Since I am a business major, a lot of professors will promote businesses who are giving a presentation next month or something, so they could get the professors to promote [Career Link] as well.” 

Regardless of the method students or alumni use to find an employment opportunity with the resources provided, Vietzke said the Career Development Center has something available for anyone seeking a job, and they are confident that people will find something that fits what they are searching for. 

“If you are just looking for something part-time, you’re going to find it. If you’re looking for something like a career type job, you’re going to find that, too,” Vietzke said. “There are so many different types of jobs that there is something there for everybody.”