IU Southeast hosts annual Volunteer fair

Local organizations packed the Hoosier room to highlight volunteer opportunities for students

Robin Pitmann, communications and outreach coordinator for Harbor House of Louisville, sits at her organization’s table at the annual IUS Volunteer Fair.

Aubryn Crotchett, Staff Reporter

Over 20 local organizations visited IU Southeast’s campus on Monday, Oct. 7 to inform students on volunteer opportunities happening in the community.

The mission of each organization is to get students involved through giving back to the community while making new experiences.

A variety of organizations that offer volunteer work in nursing homes, criminal justice, youth and education were represented at the volunteer fair. Students in attendance received buttons, bumper stickers, candy and t-shirts.

Some community organizations that participated were Habitat for Humanity, Volunteers of America and Harbor House of Louisville.

Habitat for Humanity

Nichole Jones, program coordinator for New Albany Floyd County (NAFC) Habitat for Humanity taught students about the importance of the program.

“It is important to reach out to college students and ask them to volunteer often because people their own age need help with housing,” Jones said.

The NAFC Habitat for Humanity’s goal is to eliminate substandard housing found in Clark and Floyd County.

Kayla Isgrigg, sophomore psychology major attended the volunteer fair for the first time.

“It’s important for college students to volunteer because it can open their eyes to more experiences,” Isgrigg said. “I volunteered throughout my high school career helping the less fortunate and it made me see how volunteering can make someone else’s life easier.”

Volunteers of America

Ryan Benningfield, external relations coordinator, assists and coordinates community activities for Volunteers of America: Mid-States. Volunteers of America has 41 distinct programs that serve more than 25,000 people.

Benningfield talked about some of the more popular services the organization offers which are outpatient, residential, women’s, and veterans.

Harbor House of Louisville

One of the more popular organizations for which students volunteer is Harbor House of Louisville. Harbor House provides help for individuals with mental or developmental disabilities.

Robin Pitmann, communications and outreach coordinator, represented the organization at the volunteer fair.

“It’s a great program for college students to get involved in because not only is it a lot of fun, but it feels great to empower individuals with disabilities and help them lead a fulfilled life,” Pitmann said.

Pitmann encouraged students to get involved with the “Ken-Ducky Derby,” the official fundraiser for Harbor House of Louisville.
An annual duck race event, the event’s proceeds go directly toward Harbor House’s programs.

“Not only is this event a great opportunity to volunteer for, if you enter the race you have the chance to win prizes such as cash or a car.”