Something Dramatic This Way Comes

Laughter, lovers and tragic tales make for a wild ride this fall in the theater department

Bryce Shreve

The “Hope’s Harbor” sculpture sits in front of Knobview Hall and the Ogle Center. File photo by Bryce Shreve.

Marc Andry, Staff Reporter

The IU Southeast Theater Department is hosting two shows at the Ogle Center this semester, including one serious piece and one not-so-serious piece. These shows will have different directors — including one new director who is visiting IU Southeast from 2019-2020 named Barrett Cooper.

The first show of the semester will be “I Love You, You’re Perfect, Now Change,” which is a musical comedy with a focus on relationships and will be directed by Assistant Professor of Theater and Performance Ashley Wallace. Wallace has directed nine performances at IU Southeast and taught 26 courses.

This performance will also feature choreographer Jim Hesselman, dean of the School of Arts and Letters. The plot follows multiple couples and explores relationships from different angles such as dating, marriage and divorce.

“Every scene showcases a relationship at a different stage,” Wallace said.

The second show this semester, “The Laramie Project,” takes a more serious tone revolving around the Matthew Shepard incident in Laramie, Wyoming. Shepard, a gay student at the University of Wyoming, was beaten, tortured and left to die near Laramie in October 1998. He died six days later due to complications from his head injuries.

“It’s a sad show, but it resonates well even in today’s time,” said Rebekkah Meixner-Hanks, associate professor of theater and theater department coordinator.

Meixner-Hanks also designs and hand paints the set blueprints for all of the theater department’s shows.

“We have a very large number of freshmen cast in the show which is a great way for them to get involved in the program,” Meixner-Hanks said.

The IUS Theater Department is always looking for more people to get involved and this year is no different. While both shows have already been cast, they are always looking for technicians and backstage staff for both of them. Below are the dates and times for the programs:

I Love You, You’re Perfect, Now Change

• Friday – Saturday October 25-26 | 8 p.m.

• Sunday October 27 | 2:30 p.m.

• Friday – Saturday November 1-2 | 8 p.m.

• Sunday November 3 | 2:30 p.m.

The Laramie Project

• Thursday – Saturday December 5-7 | 8 p.m.

• Sunday December 8 | 2:30 p.m.