New school, new beginnings

Transfer students work to find a new home at IU Southeast

Sydney Randall

Cody Jones, a sophomore transfer student previously from Jefferson Community and Technical College, said it was easy fitting in at IU Southeast.

Sydney Randall, Staff Reporter

The start of a new school year means a new crop of students. Most individuals think of a new student as an 18-year-old freshman who is starting college for the very first time. Occasionally, that new student is not a freshman—they are a transfer student.

Starting over at a brand new college as a transfer student can be just as stressful as starting college as a freshman, according to Cody Jones, a sophomore transfer student from Jefferson Community and Technical College. Jones said it was a challenge to get all of his transcripts, financial aid applications and paperwork turned in before the semester started.

Transfer Student Opinions

“I feel a lot more at home [at IUS] than expected,” Jones said. “Both my wife and my best friend go to IUS and they always talk very highly of it. I always kind of saw IUS as a second high school with how many people I know there, but I realized that it’s a fantastic place to take the next step in my life.”

Jones, a psychology major, is fascinated by how prominent mental health awareness is on campus.

“I am also really impressed by IU Southeast’s attention and support for mental health awareness. The fact that they offer free personal counseling is such an alien concept to me,” Jones said. “As a person who is currently working on a degree in psychology and working in the mental health field, I find that to be invaluable.”

Sam Beverly, a sophomore transfer student from Ivy Tech Community College, transferred to IU Southeast this semester. According to Beverly, his adjustments are still in progress.

“I would say I’m still adjusting to making myself feel at home, but I can say I feel comfortable and safe on campus,” Beverly said. “The environment and the peacefulness of the outdoors on campus is great. I think getting used to the size of the campus is probably the hardest part.”

Advice from a Transfer Expert

Stephanie Wolfe, IU Southeast transfer admissions counselor, said feeling at home as a Grenadier is easy for all students, and offered advice on how to get involved.

“One of the biggest things is to get involved on campus,” Wolfe said. “I tell everybody that comes in, from an 18-year-old who is fresh out of high school to a 60-year-old who wants to get their degree because it’s the one thing they’ve wanted all their life, to just get involved on campus.”

If transfer students are looking for an organization that tailors specifically to them, Wolfe has them covered. In addition to serving as transfer admissions counselor, Wolfe is the faculty advisor for Tau Sigma.

“[Tau Sigma] is an honor society for transfer students who have at least a 3.5 GPA. It’s a group organization to try and help students feel a little more at home as a transfer student,” Wolfe said.

According to Wolfe, there are several other organizations transfer students are able to join. For example, the German club is available for students in German class or for people who are interested in learning German.

“If you like pop culture trivia, you can go to pop culture trivia nights,” Wolfe said. “Transfer students have all kinds of ways to get involved. It’s just about taking that step and being willing to do it.”

Wolfe offered one last piece of reassuring advice for transfer students who might not feel those clubs and organizations are for them.

“Just because you’re a transfer student does not mean you’re not part of the IU family. You can get engaged and involved on campus as much as an incoming freshman can,” Wolfe said.

Transfer students, Wolfe said, have access to all of the same resources as incoming freshman. Wolfe said she and her team in the admissions office want to see transfer students succeed.

“You have a family here, you just have to find us,” Wolfe said.