Refugee and Immigrant Day held at Kentucky State Capitol

Coalition of local interfaith charities and refugee support agencies hosts their sixth annual event

Joshua Roy

Cuban refugee Arianna Martinez waves an American flag to show support. Small American and Kentucky state flags were passed around to anyone that wanted one.

Joshua Roy, Staff Reporter

The sixth annual "Refugee & Immigrant Day at the Capitol" was held in the Capitol Building of Frankfort, Kentucky. Hundreds were in attendance to show solidarity with refugees and immigrants.
The sixth annual “Refugee & Immigrant Day at the Capitol” was held in the Capitol Building of Frankfort, Kentucky on Wednesday, Feb. 20. Hundreds were in attendance to show solidarity with refugees and immigrants.
A group of children from Newcomer Academy show their support at the rally. Many students came ready to show their support at the event.
Cuban refugee Adelaine Olivia dances to music during the beginning of the rally. A live band played a few songs before the event began.
The center of the capitol building was filled with refugees and other supporters. This was the sixth annual refugee rally held in Kentucky's state capitol.
The center of the capitol building was filled with refugees and other supporters. This was the sixth annual refugee rally held in Kentucky’s state capitol.
Participants of the rally watch the proceedings from the second floor. The first floor filled up quickly, and many people had to move to the balconies overlooking the event.
Julia Ray, events manager of Catholic Charities of Louisville closes out the rally. There were speakers from many different charities helping refugees transition to life in America, as well as testimonials from refugees in the area.
Julia Ray, events manager for Catholic Charities of Louisville closes out the rally. There were speakers from many different charities helping refugees transition to life in America, as well as testimonials from refugees in the area.