Victory Over Midway Brings IUS Volleyball Win Streak to 12

Tyler Clerkin, Staff Reporter

The IUS volleyball team faced off against the Midway University Eagles on Tuesday, Oct. 11.

The Grenadiers took the match 3-0, bringing their win streak up to 12.

The Grenadiers were led by sophomore Monica Loftus with six kills and freshman Lindsey Howell with five. Senior Hannah Barker led the Grenadiers in the assist category by adding 25. The team as a whole was able to produce five total blocks.

Midway University is in the same conference as IU Southeast for volleyball meaning this game would not only affect their overall record, but also the team’s conference record.

This match provided the Grenadiers a second opportunity to face off against the Eagles after defeating them 3-0 earlier this season.

Grenadiers head coach Eric Brian said he took this rematch as an opportunity to try out some new strategies.

“We had the opportunity to mix up the lineup tonight and that was certainly different,” Brian said. “We used this opportunity to try out some of our free ball plays.”

In addition to her five kills, Howell made several key plays to help bring home the win.

“That was my second game in a row being able to play the whole game.” Howell said. “It felt really good to get to play all the way around two games as a freshman.”

As the regular season comes to a close, the conference tournament is quickly approaching. Winning the conference tournament has been the team’s main goal since the beginning of the season.

Senior Katie Fischer spoke of the team’s confidence going forward.

“We are on a 12 game win streak now and are 9-0 in conference,” said Fischer, “I think we are really confident for what we have ahead.”

Brian said the team put what they had been practicing on the floor by making sure they were fully prepared for the match.

“We made sure to really work on our service return,” Brian said. “I think when that is good, we play good. I think success is started by ball control. It is all about that first pass.”

The Grenadiers will put their 12 game win streak on the line when they travel to Indiana Tech University on Friday Oct. 14 to participate in the Indiana Tech Tournament.