IUS women’s tennis team tops Kentucky Wesleyan

Tyler Clerkin, Staff Reporter

The IUS women’s tennis team faced off against Kentucky Wesleyan College on Tuesday Oct. 4.  The Grenadiers were able to take the match 9-0 as they were able to pick up a win at every spot.

This would be the first time the two teams meet in the 2016 season, but the two have faced off before on April 4, 2015 and were able to pick up the win 9-0 as well.

This was the team’s fourth win in a row and will conclude the fall season.

The Grenadiers were able to pick up a win in every spot with junior Dana Frank leading the way with a win at both one single and one doubles match. This was the third time the Grenadiers were able to shutout their opponents 9-0 during the fall season.

With this being the last match of the fall season, the Grenadiers were ready to finish strong.

“It is always good to finish our dual match season undefeated.” said head coach Joe Epkey, “We are ready to take this momentum into the spring season.”

As the fall season was the first for the freshman, this was the first time for the new players to gain some experience.

Epkey said, “It was important for us to get some of the new comers some confidence this fall season.” The team going undefeated will help the team gain the confidence they need to go into the spring season with a full head of steam.

Freshman Peighton Dobbins was able to end her first season with a win in singles and doubles.

“It felt really good, I felt like we had a good season and it came to a good conclusion” said Dobbins. The freshman for this years team were a big reason for the team’s success during the fall season. They were able to step up and help get every win they could for the team.

Frank was in a battle at one singles as she ended up winning for her team. Her and her partner for the doubles match, sophomore Alexis Applegate, were able to pick up the win fairly quickly to help the team towards their 9-0 win.

After this win, the team is looking forward to their next season in the spring.

“We will be practicing indoors a couple days a week right after Christmas break” said Epkey. “We will have a few matches towards the end of February to get us started.”

The spring season will officially kick off on Feb. 3 in 2017. The Grenadiers are looking to make a statement as they have their eyes set on winning conference.