Kappa Sigma holds third annual Slip and Slide

Jewell Conner

Kappa Sigma members and students socialize before relay.

Jewell Conner, Staff Reporter

On a sweltering day, with the humidity rising, an idea created by one person started a event that has continued for three years.

Kappa Sigma’s third annual Slip and Slide event was held Thursday, Aug. 25 between Knobview Hall and the volleyball court.

This event gave students a way to keep cool in the summer heat and allowed students the opportunity to interact with each other.

Former Kappa Sigma president, Isaac Jackson, who graduated in May 2016 with a bachelor of science in business, thought it would be a great idea to make a slip and slide.

Kappa Sigma preparing for a good time and talking amongst themselves.

Erin Coffee, journalism junior, said she attended the event for the first time because she thought that it would be fun and a good way to meet people.

Kappa Sigma was founded in March of 2014 at IU Southeast and is known for their campus social events and volunteering in the community.

This event not only included a slip and slide, it also included a team relay obstacle course and water kickball. Although it started at 5 p.m., most people did not start showing up until later due to evening classes.

For liability purposes, students signed waivers before participating in the events. Once a student signed the waiver, they were given a green wristband and could then partake in the fun and games.

Interfraternity council president, Tuan Vũ, economics and business senior, showed his support for the fraternity. Although he oversees three fraternities, that did not stop him from stopping by and making sure everything was going well.

“The slip and slide event allowed the potential rushees to get their names out there in time for formal rush,” Vũ said.

Phi Sigma Sigma and other greek organizations showed their support as well.

“I’m here to show support for my fellow greeks,” Sarah Mann, psychology junior and Phi Sigma Sigma member, said.

Kappa Sigma slip and slide set up next to Knobview and the sand volleyball court.

Luke Lottes, business junior and founding member of Kappa Sigma, said he remembered Jackson’s original idea well.

“As long as the founding members are here, we will keep the tradition going,” Lottes said. “We were a new organization and wanted to have a big event, basically go big or go home.”