Senior art exhibition depicts identical twins

Connor Edrington

Reba Potter, fine arts senior, stands next to a piece from her B.A. senior art exhibition on Thursday, Jan. 14.

Connor Edrington, Staff Reporter

Bright, colorful artwork hangs on two walls of the art gallery in the lower level of the IUS library. The artwork displays two similar people in two different ways.

Reba Potter, fine arts senior, created the artwork for her B.A. senior art exhibition, which began Thursday, Jan. 14. The artwork is on display until Thursday, Jan. 28, and it depicts identical twins.

Potter said she and her sister, Mary Potter, early childhood education senior at Ivy Tech Community College, are identical twins. Potter also said she wanted to use her digital design skills to show people that while she and Mary look the same, they may be more different than people assume.

“Growing up, people already have it in their minds that we’re very identical even though we are very different,” Potter said.

Potter’s art consists of many pieces that depict differences between herself and Mary.

The pieces titled “Pattern” and “Style” are illustrations that represent the sisters by the type of patterns they wear on their clothing.

“Not The Same” showcases the faces of both sisters closely so the viewer can compare their qualities.

Zane Tingle, fine arts student, said Potter is very interested in illustration and concept design.

Potter said she became interested in art very quickly.

“I always wanted to pick up a pencil and do things with art,” Potter said.

Students, faculty, staff and community members can observe Potter’s artwork in the library’s art gallery during library hours through the duration of her exhibition.