Grenadiers stay red hot, increase winning streak to seven games

Enrique Bryan

The IUS volleyball team huddles up after a set in their match against Midway University on Tuesday, Oct. 13. The Grenadiers won the match and continued their win streak to seven games.

Enrique Bryan, Staff Reporter

The IUS volleyball team beat Midway University in straight sets (25-16, 25-22, 25-11) on Tuesday, Oct. 13 to continue their winning streak to seven games.

The Grenadiers improve their overall record to 14-7 and are 8-2 in conference play.

“We did a good job coming in with a game plan of what we wanted to do to beat them and that’s what we needed to do,” head coach Eric Brian said.

In the first set, the Grenadiers took an early lead and won the set 25-16.

In the second set the Grenadiers once again took the lead early on and were leading the set 24-22 but had trouble closing the set against the Eagles. They were, however, able to end the set winning 25-22.

“I think we were really smart we tipped the right places and hit the right places and stayed away from number seven (sophomore Ricky Bowers) and that was our goal for the game.” Caitlynn Pfaadt, sophomore defensive specialist, said.

Having the momentum from winning the first two sets, the Grenadiers would carry it into the third set. Leading the set 10-7, the Grenadiers went on a 15-4 run to win the set and the match.

Michala Beasley, sophomore outside hitter, led the Grenadiers with 11 kills. Hannah Joly, freshman outside hitter, added 7 kills. The Grenadiers had 32 total kills in the match.

“I think a lot of practice and our serving is strong and Katie Fischer did a good job with her short serves,” Pfaadt said. “I think our team work talking to each other, communication, blocks, and kills went into this (win).”

During the Grenadiers’ seven game win streak they have not allowed the other team to win a set, winning 21 consecutive sets.

“When we win we do a good job of winning games in three sets, so we just need to get stronger when we have adversity,” Brian said.

The Grenadiers next play at home against Asbury University on Thursday, Oct. 15. Asbury is currently third in the KIAC standings, while the Grenadiers are fifth.