IUS Volleyball Alumni Match

• Junior Katie Fischer lines up to spike the ball after a set from junior Hannah Barker. These two juniors are expected to fill the void of the lack of senior leadership on the team, but Brian believes that they will rise to the occasion. “Katie and Hannah are doing a good job as leaders, and it will only get better as the season kicks off,” Brian said.

• Freshman Mary Pat Geary watches as her teammate serves the ball in the fifth set. Geary is from Jeffersonville and adds skill at the middle back position.

• Coach Brian instructing his players while battling in the fourth set of the alumni game on Wednesday, Aug. 26.

• Coach Brian talks to his team in the middle of the third set. “The third set is where we really showed what we are bringing to the KIAC this year,” Brian said.

• Watson focuses on the ball as she prepares to serve it. “This is my fourth game. I love playing volleyball, and it’s a chance to help out the team and the coaches,” said Watson after the game.

• Willinger celebrates after a successful block. Willinger had 191 kills and 20 blocks last season, but she looks primed to step up and become a bigger threat for the opposition.

• Joly anticipates the ball as she prepares to jump and block the spike.

• Loftus can also spike the ball, as shown. This overhand right by her starts off the third set.

• Freshman Monica Loftus prepares to serve the ball in the third set. Loftus is a setter who played at Holy Cross High School.

• Meaghen Tompkins, a senior on last year’s team, chases the ball after a spike. Tompkins lead the team in assists last season, 19 of which came in the 2014 KIAC Conference Championship.

• Sophomores Michala Beasley and Kelsey Willinger wait for the ball to come over the net. Both are expected to be key blockers in the front row for the team this season.

• Freshman Hannah Joly runs back into the game after her serve. She played for Floyd Central High School last year.

• Jade Troutman, 2013 alumnus, watches as one of her teammates serves the ball. She was a part of the Grenadiers team when during Brian’s first season as head coach.

• The Grenadiers break the huddle for the start of the game. This year’s team is looking to go back to the championship game after last year’s loss to Point Park University.

• The alumni team getting ready for the beginning of the game. A few of them said that they were not in the best competitive shape. “I just had a baby about two months ago,” Lauren Watson, 2012 alumnus, said. “Let’s just say that it’s been a long time since I have been in true volleyball shape.”

• Denny Williams, Assistant Athletic Director, watches the game from his usual spot at the top of the bleachers. “This game has been on the schedule for as long as I have been apart of this great athletic program,” said Williams at the beginning of the first set.

• Assistant coach Stephanie Koetter stands at the end of the line as the alumni team is being announced. This is Koetter’s second season as assistant coach.

• This season’s home games will be announced by Dana Loy.

• Volleyball head coach Eric Brian looks on as the two teams get ready for the first set. Brian is entering his third season as head coach of the Grenadiers. He took the team to the conference championship each of his first two seasons and is looking for a championship run this season.

• The IU Southeast volleyball team took the court for the first time on Wednesday, Aug. 26 in the alumni game. It featured this years team against IUS alumni.

Parker Henes, Staff Reporter

The IUS volleyball team kicked off their 2015 season with their annual alumni game on Wednesday, Aug. 26. The Grenadiers are a young team this year and have no seniors on the team. Juniors Katie Fischer, Hannah Barker, and Addison Durham will look to be the leaders on the team this season. Also, head coach Eric Brian will look to take the team to a third straight trip to the KIAC championship. The Grenadier’s first home game is Thursday, Sept. 3 against Spalding University.