Classically trained duo leaves impression

Jordan Williams, Staff

The only sounds that could be heard gently ricocheting within the acoustic confines of the Ogle Center were the precise keystrokes of a grand piano blended perfectly with the enthusiastic plucking of a classical violin. Together, these two instruments and the talent behind the purposeful sounds that each made for nearly two hours made for a very special evening for all that were in attendance.

On January 24, Steven Moeckel and Joanna Goldstein, who is a Professor of Music at IU  Southeast, took to the stage and eloquently recreated some of the more coveted pieces of classical music.

Moeckel, who is no stranger to performing, first began playing violin at a very young age and at the age of eleven he earned himself the position as principal soprano soloist for the Vienna Boys Choir.

Goldstein has been very well versed in the art of piano playing for the majority of her life and in addition to performing with the Louisville Orchestra, and according to a speaker who followed the intermission, Goldstein has even been privileged enough to play some of the same pianos as Beethoven.

The apparent synchronization between the duo is so seamless for good reason as there is an inherent connection between the two thanks to Goldstein actually being Moeckel’s godmother. Despite their relationship, this show marked the very first time that the two have ever played together in a public setting.

Sam Schaefer, history senior, learned of the performance the day of and was outwardly impressed with how well the two musicians played together, especially after learning that this was their first time doing so.

“It almost felt like they were playing off of one another instead of just reading their separate sheets of music,” Schaefer said.

With the lights low and the audience enveloped in the beautiful sounds that were coming from the stage ahead, Moeckel and Goldstein managed to make the world seem as if it had stopped turning because for almost two hours the only thing that seemed to matter to those in attendance was the concentration it took to become completely lost in the music.