Student Athletic Board brings the pep

Blake Stewart, Staff

Who brings the pep? Who brings the cheer at games? Well one student organization does just that, and that’s the Student Athletic Board.

“The Student Athletic Board (SAB), is an organization that is dedicated to getting people to athletic events here on campus and creating a fun environment at the athletic events once students get there,” said Trent Williams, President of the SAB.

The SAB just recently became an organization this fall here at IU Southeast.

“Last October we started off as a committee in the Student Government Association that I’m involved in. Then last spring, we started making the transition in an organization,” said Williams.

The SAB is split up into committees. There is a men’s basketball committee, a women’s basketball committee, a tennis committee, and other committees that are focused on that specific sport within the organization.

“We set up tailgates for the sporting events and sell t-shirts so that our students can support the teams at IUS,” said senior SAB member Summer Sanders.

As Summer recalls for a big basketball game getting a large student section together can aid the Grenadiers.

“Once we sold t-shirts during lunch and we got a huge student section together to support the men’s basketball team last year for their home game against #2 ranked Indiana Wesleyan. We ended up beating them, and it was so awesome to see the students come together and support team,” said Sanders.

Williams knows they’ve got a bunch of creative people to come up with themes for the home games.

“We’ve got a lot of intelligent people in our organization and a lot of creative people, so we’re in good shape when it comes to ideas,” said Williams.

The SAB already has a bunch of themes planned for upcoming home games for the next few months. Follow them on Twitter @IUSSAB for details on future themes. Be ready to show your school spirit and support your Grenadiers.