Grenadiers out shoot Ivy Tech Columbus

Blake Stewart, Staff

The Grenadiers easily disposed of Ivy Tech Columbus Tuesday night, largely in part to their three point shooting. IU Southeast went 14/30 from 3-point range in their 106-59 victory over Ivy Tech.

The Grenadiers led early on and never looked back. They led in the first half 54-32, with senior guard, Jake Simpson scoring 15 points and went 3/4 from 3-point range. Simpson did not play the second half.

The Grenadiers head coach, Wiley Brown said that the game served well getting some of the bench players who haven’t played a lot, good experience.

“For those guys to grow up, they got to do on the job training. Sometime in the season we’re going to need those guys,” Brown said.

Simpson said that their players just need more experience for the team to succeed.

“A lot these guys have to get some experience. We’ve been relying on people right now,” Simpson said.

The Grenadiers shot 57 percent from the field, blocked nine shots, and had 17 steals and 26 assists outdoing Ivy Tech Columbus, in each statistical category.

The Grenadiers defense held Ivy Tech Columbus to just 27 percent from the field and forced 28 turnovers.

Junior forward, Tony Baker led the Grenadiers with 21 points. He also added five rebounds and four assists. Sophomore guard, Aidan McEwen, had 18 points and went 9/12 from the field.

“Some of our best role players played really well, knocking down shots, which is what we need,” Simpson said.

One thing the Grenadiers struggled with was rebounding. Ivy Tech Columbus out-rebounded IU Southeast 49-41, and the Grenadiers allowed 24 offensive rebounds by Ivy Tech Columbus.

“We didn’t rebound well out of our zone defense. They had 24 offensive rebounds. We can’t give up that,” Brown said.

The Grenadiers will look to get their first big road win on the year when they play Friday at #1 ranked Indiana Wesleyan.