Captain Adviser saves student schedules

IUS Horizon

Megan Wolfe, psychology senior, is tested by Captain Adviser, Jay McTyier, program analyst for the Registrar on her knowledge of the advising services on campus. Wolfe asked for help from the students in line to answer her question and win a prize.

Staff from various departments pitched in during Advising Week, from Oct. 10 to Oct. 13, encouraging all students to meet with an adviser before registering for spring classes.

Some students can’t be bothered, then they’re not ready for graduation,” Ron Dunlop, adviser for the School of Business, said. “They need to come in so we can tell them where to head, regardless of their major.”

The theme of this year’s Advising Week was superheroes, and IU Southeast had its own caped crusader in the form of Captain Adviser.

Jay McTyier, computer analyst for the Registrar, donned a superhero costume to become Captain Adviser and host of “Are You Smarter than a Caped Crusader?” set up in McCullough Plaza.

Prizes and food enticed students to spin the wheel and answer questions pertaining to IUS policies, people, procedures and places.

“The game is fun and free stuff is always good,” McTyier said, “but educating the students about the university is the goal.”

McTyier was assisted by Jo Hatfield, counselor for the Career Development Center, who encouraged contestants and awarded prizes.

Advisers were also on patrol around campus, trying to impress upon students the importance of seeing an academic adviser.

“We encourage students to check in at least once a year and definitely the semester before they think they’ll graduate,” Mandy Bibee, adviser for the Academic Success Center, said.

Bibee said many students apply for graduation only to find they do not have enough credits or the right credits for their major.

Jay McTyier, computer analyst for the Registrar’s Office, is Captain Adviser with Jo Hatfield, counselor for the Career Development Center, awarding prizes at the “Are You Smarter Than A Caped Crusader?” game show in McCullough Plaza.

In order to create awareness about advising, miniature fliers were printed with contact information for the Academic Success Center, Student Development Center, Registrar and more.

“I didn’t think I needed advising, so, now, I have to go longer to graduate,” Josh Sesar, math and physics senior, said.

The advisers showed they had a sincere interest in student’s progress, guiding the student to successful completion of a degree.

“I used advising in my college days as a tool for success and took advantage of the resources offered,” Chris Gajda, counselor for the Academic Success Center, said.

Gajda’s resources ultimately led her to counseling, and she said she is very satisfied with the choice.

By SONDRA MORRIS

Staff

sobmorri@ius.edu