Game On! at IUS

A dozen booths pack the Hoosier Room as UITS shows off tech old and new

John Clere

R2D2 makes his way to the Hoosier Room during 2018’s Game On! event.

Aubryn Crotchett, Staff Reporter

IU Southeast held its annual Game On! Event on Wednesday, September 18, 2019. The event aims to familiarize IU Southeast students with the University Information Technology Services (UITS).

Milton Trent,network team leader at IU Southeast, greeted students and passed out check cards. Each card listed 12 checkboxes that required students to stop by 12  booths UITS had set up.

Booths featured at the event were One.IU, Virtual Reality Station, ESS/iGPS, Crimson Card, Teaching & Learning Technologies, eduroam, IUanyWare, Horizon Media, Women in Computing, Gamers Society, Computer Security Group, and Dell.

While learning about the different resources UITS offers, students could try on a virtual reality headset and even have their pictures taken with R2-D2.

Help is Closer Than You Think

Justin Warren, UITS help desk manager, was operating the “Ask a Nerd”  booth.This booth was not featured on the check card, but Warren encouraged students in attendance to ask any tech questions they want to have answered.

“The most popular question students tend to ask me is normally about specific software and how to install it on their personal devices,” Warren said. “Overall, it’s a great event to get students informed on different programs the tech department has to offer.”

After visiting the booths and listening to the services offered by UITS, those in attendance earned free pizza, cookies and Game On! t-shirts.

Students in Attendance

Hannah Ray, sophomore elementary education major, said it was her second year attending the event.

“I like to attend the “Game On!” event because it gives me the opportunity to learn about some useful resources that the tech department offers students,” Ray said. “It is also nice of them to offer the students pizza and t-shirts for learning about their departments.”

Amanda Goodridge, senior computer science major, was one of the students running the Women in Computing booth. Women in computing is a university organization serves to help women with career and education opportunities in the technology field.

“As a member of Women in Computing, it’s a great opportunity to learn new things. Anyone of any major can join,” Goodridge said. “We are having an unplugged game night Friday where students can come, chat with new people and play board games.”