A Dramatic Sneak Peek

IUS Theatre Department is working 9 to 5 preparing for their upcoming shows

Stephen Simmons

IUS theatre students rehearse for their upcoming production of “9 to 5: The Musical.”

Stephen Simmons, Staff Reporter

IU Southeast’s Theatre Department is producing two shows this semester. Both of these shows will be directed by Ashley Wallace, visiting assistant professor of theatre in performance. Wallace directs all the shows at IU Southeast in addition to teaching most of the performance classes.

Rhiannon Strange, a theatre senior, said she enjoys being a part of the theatre department because it is engaging, and it builds a community.

“We have a really little theatre department at IUS, so you get pretty close with other classmates,” Strange said.

The theatre department’s first production this semester will be “9 to 5: The Musical.” The show is based on the Broadway musical of the same name and the 1980 film starring Dolly Parton, Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin. It follows three female co-workers who plan to get even with their “sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical bigot” boss.

The Ogle Center is hosting a children’s production of “Junie B. Jones: Jingle Bells, Batman Smells,” based on the “Junie B. Jones” book series by Barbara Park. When first grader Junie B. draws May, her nemesis, for Secret Santa, she comes up with a plan to teach May a lesson.

“I have a big love for children’s theater and Junie B., who is kind of a literature icon for most young girls, so I’m really excited about Junie B. and a holiday show,” Wallace said.

All seven performances of “Junie B. Jones: Jingle Bells, Batman Smells!” are sold out but dates and times can be found on the Ogle Center’s website. The department is looking to add an eighth show due to demand.

For this semester, Wallace’s goal is to continue bringing in a variety of cast members including new and returning students and members of the community. She said that bringing in new performers is an exciting part of the fall semester.

For more information about the fall semester performances, visit the “Events and Performances” page on the Ogle Center’s website.

Dates and Times for “9 to 5: The Musical”:

• Friday-Saturday, October 26 to 27 | 8 p.m.
  • Sunday, October 28 | 2:30 p.m.
  • Friday-Saturday, November 2 to 3 | 8 p.m.
  • Sunday, November 4 | 2:30 p.m.

Dates and Times for “Junie B. Jones: Jingle Bells, Batman Smells!:

• Wednesday, November 28 | 10 a.m. and 12 p.m.
  • Thursday, November 29 | 10 a.m. and 12 p.m.
  • Friday, November 30 | 10 a.m. and 12 p.m.
  • Saturday, December 1 | 1 p.m.