Louisville City FC to Host College Night

Louisville’s professional soccer team hosts “College Night” on Friday, Aug. 31

Bee Buck Photography

Louisville City forward, Cameron Lancaster, takes a free kick during a 6-0 rout of the Richmond Kickers. The club is hosting “College Night” for students on Aug. 31.

The defending United Soccer League (USL) champions are looking to make their fourth playoff appearance in as many seasons with just over a month left in the 2018 campaign.

Sitting at second in the USL’s Eastern Conference through 24 games, Louisville City is in the midst of yet another winning season and have invited college students across the metropolitan to take part in “College Night” in order to celebrate the club’s success.

For students who don’t already have season tickets, Louisville City is offering $5 tickets as the club hosts the fourth-ranked Charleston Battery on Friday, Aug. 31, at Slugger Field.

“We’re doing $5 tickets for students with a valid ID,” Scott Stewart, Louisville City Director of Public Relations and Broadcasting, said. “[It’s] definitely worth swinging by on a Friday.”

Where City is in League Play

After a middle-of-the-pack run throughout the first half of the 2018 season, Louisville City has recently established itself as a contender for another USL title.

Heading into the week, City is coming off an unbelievable streak of nine unanswered goals which includes a 6-0 victory over the Richmond Kickers and a 3-0 win over the Charlotte Independence.

The club has found itself in the exact same position as it did in the 2017 season — in position for home field advantage in the Eastern Conference playoffs.

Though Louisville City won the USL championship last season, the club has seen three different coaches this season, including former player-coach Luke Spencer.

Spencer spent most of the summer in recovery from a nagging knee injury, giving the veteran forward an opportunity to run the on-field action in the midst of a coaching change.

Former skipper James O’Connor left City to return to the Orlando City organization as a head coach in the MLS. O’Connor’s announcement to leave took place only one day after Louisville City’s groundbreaking for the new Butchertown Stadium.

However, after a tumultuous path over the 2018 campaign, City has found itself in stride towards a playoff push which has the club sitting in second in the Eastern Conference heading into the weekend.

Under the New Coach

Louisville City announced the signing of new head coach John Hackworth on Saturday, Aug. 18, several months after O’Connor’s departure.

Hackworth recently spent time with both the Philadelphia Union and USA’s Men’s 17 & Under soccer team, helping develop some of the country’s finest athletes.

New Louisville City head coach, John Hackworth, instructing his club in his debut with the club. Photo courtesy of Bee Buck Photography.

Now, as head coach of Louisville City, Hackworth has quickly established himself as the future leader of the club. Through his first three games, he led the team to a 2-1-0 record that earned his squad seven points in the same number of days.

With the hype around a new soccer stadium being built for the start of the 2020 season, along with another shot at a title for Louisville’s club, now is a good time to join the fun.

“We’re really looking forward to this week and to continuing to show the new coach how much this city loves this team,” Stewart said. “It’s going to be a huge game against a very good Charleston team but we’re ready. We hope to see a major turnout.”