The student news site of Indiana University Southeast

Guest Column: We need a Fall Break now

Mark Jallayu, Student Body President

Last semester, I sent an email to all students about a survey on a Fall Break at IU Southeast. The results came back with 759 students saying “yes” to a Fall Break and 55 students saying no.

Based on the results, I referred the Fall Break proposal to the Faculty-Senate President, who then referred the proposal to the Academic Policy Committee Chair.

Today, I can proudly tell you that each school is reviewing the Fall Break proposal. Even though a Fall Break has been denied over the years, this year seems to be a little different.

This Fall Break proposal has actually created discourse among the faculties that a survey has been sent to them asking whether they, too, support a Fall Break.

I am confident that if the Faculty Fall break survey and the student Fall break survey align, it will be on the Faculty-Senate agenda for a vote.

The question is: Will the Faculty-Senate members vote in favor of it or ignore our faculties and the student body?

I want to see us approve of a Fall break so that we can put this matter to rest, once and for all, given that our students deserve it and is in the best interest of our school.

However, I alone cannot make the Faculty-Senate approve of it, neither can the Student Government Association. That is why I am calling on every student who is reading this to contact the following to ask them to approve of a Fall Beak:

A Fall Break at IU Southeast has been voted down for years. I believe that working together we can make Fall Break an IUS reality.

3 Comments
  • ericschansberg

A particular proposal would be helpful. In particular, what are you willing to give up to get the extra days off– and what are the costs of that proposal?

[Reply]

Mark S H Jallayu Reply:

Thank you for your question.

I know this much: the Academic Policy Committee is still working out the details of the Fall Break. I personally do not serve on that committee, so I am not in the know everything. However, I have been briefed on the discussion. The Faculty members are responding to a survey sent to them on the Fall Break and few of them have been making suggestions for how we go about implementing a Fall Break within our calendar. Also, based on another briefing, it may be that students will receive an email on the optional days for the Fall Break (depending on the most popular ones) before it officially make it to the Faculty-Senate agenda for a vote. This way it is not my say or the faculties say for when we should have a Fall Break. I wouldn’t mind going a few days or taking one day out of Thanksgiving break to give our students a Fall Break. It just doesn’t make sense to me that one should have to go to school for weeks before getting a break nearing the end of November, and then come back a week, and enter finals week.

The details of this proposal is still on-going. It is hope that we will come to agreement on this proposal.

Please feel free to reach me at mjallayu@ius.edu.

[Reply]

ericschansberg Reply:

Thanks for clarifying. I suspect you’ll find that everyone likes the benefits but won’t be able to agree on the costs. But good luck to you; it’s a worthy pursuit!

[Reply]

• Guest Column: We need a Fall Break now

Columns

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi” blasts into theaters

Columns

“Murder on the Orient Express” Review

Columns

Beef with Veganism

Columns

Star Wars Celebration 2017: My Journey to a Galaxy Far, Far Away

Columns

Possibilities of the Presidential Elecetion

• Columns

The day I drove to school in a big red truck

Columns

Autism and political correctness

Columns

Keep your politics out of my uterus

Columns

A dead man’s tale

Columns

Sports Are Life

Guest Column: We need a Fall Break now