Louisville Orchestra performs in Ogle Center

Brian Davis

The Louisville Orchestra warms up for its performance.

Brian Davis, Staff Reporter

Classical music composed by Mozart, Schubert, Haydn, Salieri, Gluck and other composers filled Stem Concert Hall in the Ogle Center during the Louisville Orchestra’s show, “Classical Classics.”

The Louisville Orchestra’s performance lasted from 7:30 to around 9 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 6. Teddy Abrams conducted the Louisville Orchestra that evening as it performed several classical pieces, including three of Beethoven’s “German Dances,”  Bocherini’s “Sinfonia” and others.

Abrams said classical music is extremely important to the foundation of Western music as a whole.

“It was during this period where the foundations of western music was established,” Abrams said to the audience. “When I was 14 years old, I got into an argument with my teacher. I called Heiden boring. My teacher, who was 60 years older than I was, tried to explain to me how Heiden was not boring. It took me some time before I realized the truth. Technology and the things around us change. However, what Heiden wrote his music about does not. Heiden was not boring. It was how other people played Heiden’s work.”

Abrams said he has been involved in music since he was 3 years old.

“When I saw my first orchestra when I was 9 years old, I knew I always wanted to be a conductor,” he said.

David Hemmett said he and his wife, Carole, were looking forward to the concert, and they have been season ticket holders for Louisville Orchestra performances for some time.

“We have been coming to IUS to see them perform for several years now,” Hemmett said.

James Mueller said his son Jonathan is in the Louisville Orchestra.

“He has been performing for maybe five to six years,” Mueller said. “This is the first time I will be seeing him perform in the Ogle Center.”

IUS faculty were also present at the performance.

Subhranil De, associate professor of physics, said he was impressed with many of the lesser known works, including Bocherini’s “Sinfonia” and Beethoven’s “German Dances.”

“I really loved the Bocherini’s ‘Sinfonia,’” De said. “It was really quirky and fun. And what amazes me about Beethoven was that, although he was known for his thunderous movements, his slow movements were also sublimely beautiful.”

De said the cello players strummed their instruments in unconventional ways, invoking the sound of Spanish guitars.

Sophia Bierman, theatre freshman and box office clerk in the Ogle Center, said the Ogle Center sold about 400 tickets.

“We split the profits with the Louisville Orchestra,” Bierman said.

Kirk Randolph, director of the Ogle Center, said he thought the performance went well.

“We had a big crowd,” he said.

Abrams said the unique relationship the Ogle Center has with the Louisville Orchestra allows such performances to occur.

“We have a really great relationship with the Ogle Center,” Abrams said. “We play from the east quadrant to the west quadrant of New Albany. This is our main New Albany area. The facility has great acoustics.”

Before the performance, Abrams said he was honored patrons came to see the Louisville Orchestra perform.

“We hope that by coming here to them we make it a special experience for them,” Abrams said.

• The Louisville Orchestra warms up for its performance.

• Teddy Abrams, conductor of the Louisville Orchestra, explains the backstory of Boccherini’s “Sinfonia.”

• Teddy Abrams conducts the orchestra through Mozart’s Overture to “Cosi fan tutte.”

• Violinists warm up their instruments before the Louisville Orchestra’s performance on Saturday, Feb. 6.

• Patrons fill the Ogle Center’s Stem Concert Hall. Sophia Bierman, theatre freshman and box office clerk, said she estimated that around 400 seats were filled due to ticket sales.

• Patrons find their seats while the Louisville Orchestra warms up for its performance.

• Patrons buy or receive their tickets from Sophia Bierman, theater freshman and box office clerk.

• Patrons pick up their per-ordered tickets at the Will Call Tickets area from Shane Wood, head of Patron Services with the Louisville Orchestra.

• The Louisville Orchestra warms up for its performance in the Ogle Center’s Stem Concert Hall.

• Louisville Orchestra musicians warm up onstage before the start of “Classical Classics.” Teddy Abrams, director of the Louisville Orchestra, conducted the show.