Women’s tennis dominates in doubleheader

Enrique Bryan

Sophomore Dana Frank giving high fives to her teammates before game two of their double header against Brescia University on Saturday, Sept. 26. The Grenadiers won game one against IU East 9-0 and beat Brescia in game two 9-0.

Enrique Bryan, Staff Reporter

The IUS women’s tennis team faced two conference opponents in a doubleheader on Saturday, Sept. 26. The Grenadiers dominated both matches against IU East and Brescia University shutting out both teams.

After just having been in a regional tournament two days prior to their doubleheader on Saturday, the six players for the Grenadiers had their stamina tested.

Head coach Joe Epkey, though, prepared his players for the doubleheader by giving them as much rest as he could.

Epkey said it was challenging having his team play in a lot of matches and still be able to be match tough and squeeze in some rest. He did, however, keep an eye on how much his players were doing in between matches so that they’d be ready for the doubleheader.

In the first matchup, the Grenadiers went up against IU East. They were able to win decisively 9-0.

Senior Katie Walsh and freshman Alexis Applegate won in No. 1 doubles by a score of 8-4. Senior Maddie Ikerd and sophomore Dana Frank swept their No. 2 doubles match 8-0. Then sophomore Abby Hurtgen and freshman Anne Marie Mattox won in No. 3 doubles 8-4.

In singles the Grenadiers continued their dominance. Frank won in No. 1 singles 6-3, 6-0. Walsh didn’t lose a game in her No. 2 singles match winning 6-0, 6-0. Applegate won her No. 3 singles match 6-2, 6-1. In No. 4 singles Ikerd won 6-2, 6-0. Hurtgen and Mattox both only lost one game in their matches with Hurtgen winning 6-0, 6-1 and Mattox winning 6-1, 6-0.

Coming off their big win against IU East the Grenadiers didn’t show any signs of slowing down against Brescia in game two of their doubleheader. They defeated Brescia for another shutout of 9-0.

Frank and Ikerd won in No. 1 doubles 8-5. Walsh and Applegate won their No. 2 doubles match 8-3.

In singles play Frank won 6-0, 6-1 in No. 1 singles. Walsh won 6-3, 6-3 in No. 2 singles. In No. 3 singles Applegate won 6-1, 6-2. Ikerd won 6-3, 6-0 in No. 4 singles, and Hurtgen won No. 5 singles by a score of 6-1, 6-3.

No. 3 doubles and No. 6 singles were not scheduled due to an incomplete lineup.

Epkey was happy with the way his team played in Saturday’s doubleheader and proud of the two win’s against their two conference foes.

“We competed well, kept a lot of balls in play, eliminated unforced errors, and ended up with two good results,” Epkey said.

The next three matches for the Grenadiers will be on the road starting off with a match against Asbury University on Friday, Oct. 2.