IU Southeast changes commencement venue

Jordan Williams, Staff Reporter

While the majority of campus is expressing relief knowing that they don’t have to concern themselves with course availability for a period of time that feels like a bittersweet eternity, a small, but proud bunch pay no attention to such frustrations as come next semester they will have graduated.

However, some soon-to-be alumni might feel a slight drag in their excitement that is rooted from having few collegiate frustrations anymore that are worth noting, this shift in tone possibly having to do with the decision to move the upcoming graduation ceremonies to the Kentucky International Convention Center, instead of having them on campus as seen in previous years.

Mary Beth Nanz, Assistant Registrar, is aware that some may see the change as an inconvenience, but expressed confidence that the decision to switch venues is for the best.

“[The switch is being made] because of last year’s graduation,” Nanz said. “With it being held outside we have always been at the mercy of the weather. We always had to decide if it would be inside and if it was inside there would be two ceremonies, and a limited number of people could attend.”

Due to the constrictions of fire safety laws, students were only allowed to have four guests at the ceremonies, a restriction that will not be in effect thanks to the decision to switch venues from campus to the Kentucky International Convention Center.

With this decision being heavily influenced by the cancellation of last year’s ceremonies, some students feel that the change is more accommodating that it was initially thought to be.

Dalton Fife, recent graduate who majored in criminal justice, feels that the switch has potential to be a good idea, but also sees how it could be frustrating to some students who are attending. “I went [last year], but because of the weather it was cancelled and I didn’t go to the second one,” Fife said.

“I feel it would be a little strange to graduate in another city and a different state that you went to school in; I have mixed emotions about the shift,” Fife said. 

With it being held outside we have always been at the mercy of the weather. We always had to decide if it would be inside and if it was inside there would be two ceremonies, and a limited number of people could attend.

— Mary Beth Nanz

The driving motivation behind making this decision to switch venues seems to have been made with the consideration of those in attendance to the ceremonies at the forefront of the thoughts of everybody involved.

“We decided to have it somewhere where we wouldn’t have to make those tough decisions,” Nanz said. 

Chase Rost, a criminology and criminal justice major, is one of many students who will be attending the ceremonies this spring as a recent IUS graduate. Like many, Rost isn’t too bothered with the venue switch, but feels that it may be an issue for his family and friends who will be in attendance. 

“I couldn’t care myself if it were on campus or not, but I’m pretty sure that my family might have an issue with the switch,” Rost said.

Rost was unaware that the amphitheater, which was meant to initially hold the upcoming graduation ceremonies and all future ones as well, was completed.

“I don’t see a logical reason why [they] don’t intend on using it this spring,” Rost said.

Due to there being a lot of plans for the amphitheater in the near future, some already planned and others yet to be determined, Mary Beth Nanz and many others faculty members seem very excited for the variety of events that can now be held on campus thanks to its completion,  the graduation ceremonies this spring not being one of those of events.

Graduation ceremonies will be held May 11 at the Kentucky International Convention Center. For more information, call the Alumni Office at 941-2384.