Brain food: tips to healthy eating on campus

Kaylynn Williams, Staff Writer

Get up early, go to class, work late, and hit the bed. There is no time for a college student to eat healthy while always on the go, right? Wrong. Being healthy is not a characteristic. It is an accomplishment that takes time and dedication. Much like your studies, without the grades.

One of the most often feared hoaxes is the freshman fifteen. With the college lifestyle it can be hard to stay in tip-top shape but it is possible for any student that desires to do so. 

At each meal fill half your plate with vegetables, accompanied by fruits, whole grains like oatmeal or wheat bread and lean proteins like hard boiled eggs or white meat chicken breast.

— Carly Schuna

Their eyes are always peeled for the next affordable healthy snack.  A variety of options lie at our fingertips on campus.

There are healthy options available on campus, however the obstacles such as junk food in the vending machines and desserts in the cafeteria can make it difficult to find the best option.

In the dining hall, there is an overwhelming display of food and not all of it is healthy.

“I don’t like eating junk food all of the time but it is hard to go without it. It is my favorite snack,” Caleb Cole, accounting junior, said.

Here is a suggestion for many other students that have the same difficulty as Cole with unhealthy food.

“At each meal fill half your plate with vegetables, accompanied by fruits, whole grains like oatmeal or wheat bread and lean proteins like hard boiled eggs or white meat chicken breast,” Carly Schuna, freelance writer of healthy eating articles, said.

It can be hard to pass a cookie or some chocolate. “If walking away from ice cream and pizza every day gets you down, let yourself indulge in moderation, with an occasional small serving that will feel like a real treat,” Schuna said.

One bag of peanut M&M’s in the vending machine contains 250 calories, which is the equivalent to a plate of veggies such as carrots, celery, and lettuce.  One serving of baby carrots is just 35 calories.

Vegetables will fuel a person longer than a bag of M&M’s will. So convenience is no excuse when discussing cafeteria options. Not only are veggies healthier, they’re efficient and long lasting. They are just a few short steps away from the junk food on the same counter.

Hungry and have to get to class? Preparing some fresh cut fruit, a whole grain sandwich, snack sized veggies, and packing plenty of water to bring along with you in advance will help reduce the temptation of stopping and snacking at the convenience of the vending machines on campus.

Healthy snacks keep you feeling full longer than the junk food will. Imagine how every time you eat McDonalds it is only filling for a short period of time and then you are hungry again. Yet when you eat Thanksgiving dinner, which has protein, veggies, and some other healthier options,  it can make you feel full all day.

Next time you find your stomach growling and you are in the cafeteria looking for a snack, don’t forget your healthy options. Plan and organize your dietary needs based on budget, time, and what you like and find success in staying healthy through your college years. Develop these habits now to carry with you throughout life. So not only is your future goals looking bright as a result of college, healthy habits can be as well. So grab a healthy snack, and make the choice to snack smart.