IU Southeast wins despite late game surge by Rio Grande

Blake Stewart, Staff Writer

The IU Southeast men’s basketball team withstood a second half comeback by the University of Rio Grande on Tuesday night to win 90-85.

The Grenadiers are now 7-14 overall and 4-6 in the KIAC.

The Grenadiers had a double digit lead for much of the first half thanks to an early 9-0 run.

They were able to keep that lead going early on in the second half thanks in part to freshman guard, Jacob Mills who went 3-7 from three-point range and finished with 12 points.

IU Southeast also got a big momentum boost from junior forward, Jordan Thompson who had two monstrous dunks and huge block early in the second half. Thompson finished the game with a team high 8 rebounds and 3 blocks.

The Red Storm mounted a second half comeback thanks to junior guard, Evan Legg, who drained four three-pointers late in the game. One of which gave Rio Grande a one point lead with under a minute left.

Senior guard, Jake Simpson, then proceeded to take the ball down the floor and drive it to the basket where he got fouled and made the basket. Simpson then made the free throw to give the Grenadiers an 87-85 lead with 35 seconds left.

“All that was in my head was going to the rim and trying to make something happen,” Simpson said.

Simpson had a game high 32 points, along with 5 assists and 5 rebounds in Tuesday’s victory.

“He’s the best player on any given night,” Brown said. “Jake can play with anybody.”

The Grenadiers then applied the pressure forcing the Red Storm to throw the ball out of bounds with just 21 seconds left.

Rio Grande then intentionally fouled Mills who made one of two free throws to give the Grenadiers a three point lead.

The Red Storm then missed a three that would’ve tied the game. Freshman forward, Joe Jackson got the rebound and was fouled. Jackson made both free throws to seal the victory.

Jackson had 16 points and 7 rebounds on the night.

The Grenadiers have been on a hot streak as of late, winning four of their last five games, after losing 11 straight.

“We’ve had a tough year this year, but all in all these guys stay together,” Brown said. “We’re down but we’re not out.”

Simpson also sees improvement in his team’s play.

“We’re finally starting to hit shots and people are starting to get comfortable in their role,” Simpson said.

The Grenadiers next game is next Tuesday, Feb.10 in the Activities Building against Brescia University. Tip off is at 8 p.m.