Local gyms that can help you keep you New Year’s resolution

New Year’s Day is flooded with posts on Facebook and Twitter saying “new year, new me,” including commitments to get in shape. A few weeks later and the awe of the new year has faded, but it’s not too late to begin on the path of a more active lifestyle in the IU Southeast area.

Ethan Smith, Features editor

LOCATION - On Campus COST - Free! (sort of) Assuming that you to go to school here, you pay an athletics fee. Which among other things gives you free access to the fitness center here on campus. Located in the southwest corner of the campus this fitness center has all of the basics. Stephen Utz, the athletic director of IU Southeast, said the center does not have any personal fitness coaches or specialty classes that other gyms may offer. But it is a convenient option for students looking to burn some calories after a long day of studying. “You’re already on campus so it’s pretty accessible, obviously free is good and the equipment is fairly updated,” said Utz. The fitness center will be closed in March for renovations. But Utz said that they are finalizing a deal with Louisville Athletic Club on Charlestown Road so that students can use their facilities in the meantime.
IU SOUTHEAST FITNESS CENTER LOCATION – On Campus
COST – Free! (sort of)
Assuming that you to go to school here, you pay an athletics fee. Which among other things gives you free access to the fitness center here on campus. Located in the southwest corner of the campus this fitness center has all of the basics. Stephen Utz, the athletic director of IU Southeast, said the center does not have any personal fitness coaches or specialty classes that other gyms may offer. But it is a convenient option for students looking to burn some calories after a long day of studying.
“You’re already on campus so it’s pretty accessible, obviously free is good and the equipment is fairly updated,” said Utz.
The fitness center will be closed in March for renovations. But Utz said that they are finalizing a deal with Louisville Athletic Club on Charlestown Road so that students can use their facilities in the meantime.
THE FACTORY GYM LOCATION - 25 minutes away COST - $25 a month On the opposite end of the spectrum, The Factory in Louisville caters to specifically  power lifters, bodybuilders and athletes. This is somewhat of a specialty gym for those who share a similar dedication to fitness. Brian Brooks, the owner of The Factory said it gives you a chance to workout with and learn from the best. “We’ve got two or three world record holders in power lifting here,” said Brian Brooks, the co-owner of The Factory. “We’ve got three to four pro bodybuilders here, and we’ve got pro athletes that train here.” But Brooks said nobody should be intimidated by the members. Because even though they take their training seriously, he said they are also invested in the community and are more than willing to help out a new member if they ask.
THE FACTORY GYM
LOCATION – 25 minutes away
COST – $25 a month
On the opposite end of the spectrum, The Factory in Louisville caters to specifically power lifters, bodybuilders and athletes. This is somewhat of a specialty gym for those who share a similar dedication to fitness. Brian Brooks, the owner of The Factory said it gives you a chance to workout with and learn from the best.
“We’ve got two or three world record holders in power lifting here,” said Brian Brooks, the co-owner of The Factory. “We’ve got three to four pro bodybuilders here, and we’ve got pro athletes that train here.”
But Brooks said nobody should be intimidated by the members. Because even though they take their training seriously, he said they are also invested in the community and are more than willing to help out a new member if they ask.
PLANET FITNESS LOCATION - Less than five minutes away COST - $10 a month In total contrast to Crossfit, Planet Fitness is by far the cheapest and least intimidating of all the gyms in the area. They often boast of their “Judgement Free Zone” which according to a recent press release from the gym is to protect members from intimidation.  “We at Planet Fitness are here to provide a unique environment in which anyone, and we mean anyone, can be comfortable. A diverse, Judgement Free Zone where a lasting, active lifestyle can be built.” But this policy and the “lunk alarm,” which alerts everyone when a member has grunted too loudly while exercising, are controversial.  The gym has also come under fire for their pizza Fridays where every member is treated to free pizza. Needless to say you wont find many power lifters or bodybuilders at Planet Fitness.
PLANET FITNESS
LOCATION – Less than five minutes away
COST – $10 a month
In total contrast to Crossfit, Planet Fitness is by far the cheapest and least intimidating of all the gyms in the area. They often boast of their “Judgement Free Zone” which according to a recent press release from the gym is to protect members from intimidation.
“We at Planet Fitness are here to provide a unique environment in which anyone, and we mean anyone, can be comfortable. A diverse, Judgement Free Zone where a lasting, active lifestyle can be built.”
But this policy and the “lunk alarm,” which alerts everyone when a member has grunted too loudly while exercising, are controversial. The gym has also come under fire for their pizza Fridays where every member is treated to free pizza. Needless to say you wont find many power lifters or bodybuilders at Planet Fitness.
 FOUR BARREL CROSSFIT LOCATION - Less than five minutes away COST - $149 a month Another convenient option near campus is Four Barrel CrossFit. By now you have probably heard of CrossFit in some form or fashion. The brands marketing strategy boasts of their members success and the intensity of their workouts. But as Case Belcher, owner and head coach of Four Barrel Crossfit, said that they stay for something else. “I think a lot of times people come to us because they heard about the results. But they really stay here for the community,” said Belcher. The prices are steep compared to other gyms like Planet Fitness, and the atmosphere seems to be more intimidating at first glance. Belcher said that you are paying for more than just access to a facility. You are paying for the coaches and program which is regarded as one of the best in the fitness world, and also they don’t bite.

FOUR BARREL CROSSFIT
LOCATION – Less than five minutes away
COST – $149 a month
Another convenient option near campus is Four Barrel CrossFit. By now you have probably heard of CrossFit in some form or fashion. The brands marketing strategy boasts of their members success and the intensity of their workouts. But as Case Belcher, owner and head coach of Four Barrel Crossfit, said that they stay for something else.
“I think a lot of times people come to us because they heard about the results. But they really stay here for the community,” said Belcher.
The prices are steep compared to other gyms like Planet Fitness, and the atmosphere seems to be more intimidating at first glance. Belcher said that you are paying for more than just access to a facility. You are paying for the coaches and program which is regarded as one of the best in the fitness world, and also they don’t bite.