Chancellor Wallace to take Ice Bucket Challenge Wednesday, donations still needed

Laura Hubrich, Staff

The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge has become a popular phenomenon all over the Internet within the last few months, as a way to raise money for Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. According to a BBC News article, the challenge raised $98.2 million between July 29 and Aug. 28 of this year. IU Southeast’s own chancellor, Ray Wallace, has been challenged, and he is asking all student organizations to raise money and participate as well.

Wallace said he hopes student organizations can come out and watch him while also raising money for a good cause. He challenged all student organizations to raise as much money as they can because the winning organization gets to dump the ice water on him.

The IU Southeast Student Government Association has taken on Wallace’s challenge. Stephon Moore, SGA president and political science senior, has decided to participate along with Wallace as he represents the SGA.

Moore said he thinks this is a great thing for students to be involved with.

“The campus is coming together for a good cause,” Moore said. “It was a good act of leadership on Wallace’s part.”

Moore said that the SGA will be promoting the event Sept. 29 and 30 at noon, so students should stop by the tables and support.

While Wallace said he is looking forward to raising money for ALS research, he is not particularly excited for the cold challenge.

“They tell me it’s going to be excruciatingly cold” he said. However, “It’s for a good cause. The chance to dunk me in ice is an added bonus.”

The IU Southeast Ice Bucket Challenge will be Wed., Oct. 1 at 12:15 p.m. in University Center North, in the back of the Commons. Wallace said he hopes students will come out and support.

Donations may be made at any time in Campus Life, and will also be accepted during the event. The organization with the most money raised will get the honor of dumping the ice water on the chancellor, and he will also speak at an event of the winning organization’s choice. Second- and third-place awards will also be given.