15 tips to survive freshman year

Freshman year is full of new beginnings and experiences. There will be many opportunities to embark on. Below are 15 tips from the students and faculty at IU Southeast to help new students survive their freshman year.

Erin Mann, Staff

1Do Not Procrastinate on Studying

“Do not procrastinate on studying for tests,” Ashley White, human resources senior, said. White also said that waiting until the last minute to cram in a lot of information is not going to result in a good grade on the test. Waiting until the last minute will create a lot of unnecessary stress that could have been avoided if there was better planned involved.

Ashley White
Ashley White

2 Do the Readings

“Do the readings if they are assigned,” Laura Keller, Transition to Teaching graduate student, said. Keller also said that what the professor assigns to read will most likely show up on the test later and could also be on an unannounced quiz. The readings allow you to learn more about the topic you are covering in class and beyond what your professor will be lecturing.

3Take Your Classes Seriously

“Do not take your classes lightly. If you let your grades get too low it can destroy your GPA and potentially your whole career and financial aid,” Josef Brooner, secondary education sophomore, said. Brooner also said that if you let your GPA drop too low it voids you from a lot of opportunities that you would have had if the GPA was higher. For instance, graduate school admittance or scholarships would not be possibilities anymore.

4 Get Involved on Campus

“Find a campus organization to get involved with. It is a great way to meet people with similar interests and it makes you more likely to graduate,” Dana Gohmann, academic advisor for School of Social Sciences, said. To find out more about the campus organizations on campus visit the campus life office. Their web address is www.ius.edu/campuslife

5Seek Help from Professors

“Seek help from your professor if you are having trouble in class,” Keller said. Keller also said professors are almost always willing to help and it is better to ask for help than to get behind because you do not understand a concept. Other students in your class are also a great resource if you are having trouble in class or have a question.

6If Grades Get too Low, Drop the classes

“If your grades get low and there is no hope of getting them back up in your class, drop it right away so it does not count against you,” Brooner said. Brooner also said it is better to drop a class and retake it another semester rather than having an F on your transcript.

7Make Notes for Test Preparation

“Prepare for tests by making notes,” White said. White also said making notes for exams is helpful when it comes to condensing material. Also, they will come in handy when finals come around because you will already have the material you need to study.

8Do Not Procrastinate on Homework

“Do not procrastinate on homework assignments,” Keller said. Keller also said that all of the assignments you get from the multiple classes you are taking can add up quickly. If you do not stay on top of them you can create unnecessary stress

Erin Legg
Erin Legg

from the build up of assignments.

9Manage Time Wisely

“A full class load is a big responsibility. If you have a job it is a lot harder. Make sure you manage your time wisely,” Brooner said. Gohmann added that overloading yourself with too many responsibilities can lead to poor performance in your classes.

10Listen to the Details in Class

“Listen carefully to details in your class,” White said. White also said that this ensures that you do not complete an assignment incorrectly or miss an important detail. This allows you to organize your time better about upcoming assignments that are announced.

11Visit Professors During Office Hours

“Visit your professors during their office hours. It’s a great way to get to know professors, make connections and clarify anything that may have been confusing in class,” Gohmann said. Developing a close relationship with your professors will be beneficial not only for that class but even in the future when you need a letter of reference.

12Make Meals from Home

“You save a lot of money by making your own food, rather than eating in the cafeteria at school,” Brooner said. Brooner also said that while it may seem like making your own meal take a long amount of time, you will find it really does not and in return will be better managing your money.

13Never Miss Class

“Never miss class,” White said. White also said that while it can be tempting to miss class because no one is holding you accountable, you will fall behind in your classes. By falling behind in your classes, you will also be sacrificing your grades.

14Be on Time for Class

“Always be on time for class,” Keller said. Keller also said it is disruptive to the professor and your classmates if you walk in late. You may miss important details that the professor announces at the beginning of class.

15Try Your Best

“Try your best. If you aim to succeed you will,” Brooner said. Brooner also said that a positive attitude can go a long way. With a positive attitude you will have the mind set to aim high and do well in your classes.

Laura Keller
Laura Keller